April 14, 2015

What I've learned in the last three months

Study, Study, Study

While I know I said that I was going to use this blog as a means of studying, and I do still intend to, I've found that studying is a ton of work for this kind of lifestyle. I've been told by many that it is not a hobby, but a lifestyle bordering on obsession. This has become very obvious to me and I'm just scratching the surface.

I've learned so much over the past two months, but I also feel that I have learned no where near enough to take the falconers exam. I have been graciously provided with study books from both the California Hawking Club (CHC) and other clubs and states exams. I've been told by many that the CHC has one of the best manuals out there so I have been reading it voraciously when I get the opportunity, I've made it through once now and plan on reading at least one more time if not two or three, haha.

I've also been picking up on terms, definitions, and anatomy. I've been using digital flash cards, website glossaries and any other source list that I can find.

I know that I am making good progress and that I will be well prepared, but I'm still anxious and really ready to move forward soon.

Making friends (kind of) 

I know that I have mentioned this before, but I've always heard that Falconers were a tight knit group, and that they were hard to find, hard to impress, and nearly impossible to be accepted by. Boy is this ever wrong. I think with the evolution of social media, it is easier than ever to find a group of like minded individual, no matter what hobby or interests you have. I found several groups on Facebook and have connected with hundreds of people around the world. It is really a great experience adn very rewarding and encouraging to have so many people behind me. 

There is no sort of falconer

This is by far the most important thing, this is a long process and a very involved process. I have been at this for three months and I've not even made a dent. This has to be a passion for it to work in your life, that doesn't mean you spend every minute with it but it does mean that you work hard on a regular basis (by regular I mean daily).

This is a process, but I know that in time it will become reality.

No comments:

Post a Comment