December 21, 2014

A Long Road Ahead

The Opportunity of a lifetime

I'm a dreamer, I love the idea of being able to tackle every hobby or idea that pops into my head; woodworking, horsemanship, r/c car racing, helicopter piloting, and entrepreneurship just to name a few of my more "realistic" dreams that linger or have come to pass. However, there has been one dream of mine that I have held onto since the fifth grade. We were required to read a book called "My Side of the Mountain," about a boy who runs away from home into the woods, and for survival takes a peregrine falcon eyas (nestling) from an aerie (nest) to use as a hunting companion.

This of course is illegal on many levels, from permitting, to the age of the bird that was taken from the nest, etc. However, when  I was young the idea of working with such a powerful animal in a mutual relationship captured my attention and I have had an interest in this ancient art form ever since.


Recently in my poking around the internet in a renewed interest, I came across a group of falconers in Kentucky who are attempting to resurrect a club of sorts called the Kentucky Falconry Association (KFA) They are having an inaugural meeting at the beginning of the new year, and after talking with several members in an attempt simply to get to know them I learned that it was an open meeting and that I was more than welcome to attend. This I have found is one of the most difficult parts of the journey that I know of yet, making contact with the fine men and women already in the sport.

This of course is but the first step of a very long process, of studying, learning, observing, testing, and then finally beginning a two year apprenticeship under an experienced falconer if one is willing and able to take the time and effort to help in my training.

For now, this blog is going to be my study guide, as I progress through this journey the blog of course will evolve. I find the best study methods for my self is to write the information that I am attempting to learn. Many posts will be nothing but law and regulations, or taxonomical names and descriptions of birds, habitats, etc.

This is certain to be a long, hard, and crazy ride. My hope is that at least some of you will gain from this in one way or another, be it simply an awareness of nature around you or kindling an interest in this wonderful sport.

No comments:

Post a Comment